Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Come to Freeland, they said.

It'll be nice, they said.
You'll enjoy the weather, they said.

And you will enjoy the weather, if you enjoy cold winds and being rained upon.

At first I was vaguely disgruntled by exactly how rainy and foggy it is here. But presently I became aware of the fact that it is not fog, we live in the clouds. Without the benefit/curse of having Lando Calrissian as a neighbor.


So,
I bake bread often. Keeps me occupied, and my mind off things. And it keeps me inside so I do not get rained upon.

Today I made this:


In a Dutch oven, there on the butcher block. Look at the lid:




Now look at the bread a little closer, (after I reverse the image in Photoshop):
Sometimes I crack myself up.




Eventually it might get warm outside and I will walk around Freeland and get some more photos of the highest town in all PA
or perhaps go to Danko's for a cold one and a game of sabacc with Lando. What do I have to loose?


Oh, If you have yeast, flour, Pam™ and parchment paper, the bread is:
1/2 cup warm water
5 tsp yeast
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar
(let that sit for 5 minutes)
2.5 cups of milk
8 cups of flour
3 teaspoons of salt
3 tablespoons vinigar

Turn on the oven to 350° for 60 seconds, then turn it off and put the bread in a Pam™ coated bowl (or use oil) and put it in the oven (OFF) for about an hour, covered with a kitchen towel.

Spray the parchment paper with Pam™ and punch down the bread and put on the paper, in the Dutch oven. After another hour, take the dough and parchment paper out of the Dutch oven and put it in a pie plate (to keep the shape) and turn the oven on to 450° with the empty Dutch oven in it.

When it reaches 450° place the dough and parchment paper back in the Dutch oven and put the lid on. Set the timer for 17 minutes.
When it beeps, remove the lid of the Dutch oven, and reset the timer for another 17 minutes. Try real hard not to burn your hands.
When the top is browned nicely, remove the bread and set on a wire rack to cool.

Yield: Enough to go with dinner, Toast with breakfast, and PB&J's for the quick, 17 hours after cooling. Do not worry about stale bread, it will not last 18 hours.







No comments:

Post a Comment