Monday, June 1, 2015

Sometimes.

Sometimes, when I leave the house I check to make sure my hair is combed, and my face is washed.

Sometimes, when I leave the house I check to make sure I have my wallet.

Sometimes, when I leave the house I check to make sure  I have my Swiss Army™ knife and Zippo.

Sometimes, when I leave the house I check to make sure I have my camera.

Not today.

No camera.

I am kicking myself.



I had to go to the Post Office this morning.

So,
Down Walnut,  right on Main, left on Front St.
To the corner of Front and Center.

Where the contractors have been working on remodeling a commercial building. Usually the guys have a "Boom-Box" outside (YOU'RE LISTENING TO Z93 THE HOME OF NEPA'S CLASSIC ROCK, WITH ANOTHER TEN MINUTE COMMERCIAL-FREE BLOCK OF ROCK!)

Well, ok.

Today.

Today they had a scaffold going up the outside of the building, where they were putting on a new facade, and no radio.
There was a guy sitting with an electric grinder. He was grinding a bar of steel, making a huge shower of sparks. Although it was foggy, it was not raining,

He was wearing a bright yellow rain slicker with the hood pulled up over his face and red muck boots as he sat there grinding his bar of steel.


As he sat there in his row-boat, on the sidewalk.



I looked up at the clouds, back at him and almost said "Yo, Noah, 'Sup?"

I am working on it, but I really have to get into better shape before I risk life and limb taunting some people.


I mean I know if he gave chase, I could have left Front and Center, down the alley between the convine-mart and PNC bank, over the fence to the back parking lot of the post office, across the street to the park, doubled back to Danko's, up the alley to School street and home, with every third house having a barking dog behind a fence.
But if Mr Rain man lived in Freeland all his life, and knew better short cuts, or was faster than me he could have caught me.

That being said (Or, well, written)  I would guess his response would have been

"I ain't Noah"

Moral of the story: No camera; no photograph of a scraggly guy in a rain coat, grinding steel in his row-boat on the sidewalk.

Oooowww. I just thought, I should have gone to one of the dollar stores and picked up one of those fishing poles that comes with magnetic plastic fish and just climbed in next to him and started "fishing"

"What the hell are you doin?"

Shhh, shhh, you will scare the fish.

"Well I don't know what you... HEY! Ya got one!"




Don't forget, I changed it because I am Kevin Maher

So June 27 is no longer just sun glasses day, but it is now "Throw some shade for Kevin Maher Day"
Mark it. Live it.






4 comments:

  1. This blog is the next best thing to having Kevin telling stories in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? I got a comment?
      Really?

      The first one?
      well!

      Delete
  2. What about Larry Stoon? Will he throw some shade that day too? Perhaps on a visit to Westchester?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Stoon-Miester *Always* throws shade.

      That what he does. That's all he does. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until he throws some shade.

      Delete