Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Copper and stuff.

So,
The other day I posted about the gas leak outside my house, turns out it was not a proper gas leak, the Fire Marshal said it was some bohunk trying to steal the copper pipe from the main tank to the inside of the church.

What?

I find out that

1) Scrap copper pipe is worth $2.00/lb
2) Scrap copper pipe is a big commonity in Freeland/Hazelton area
3) Scrap copper pipe is the de rigueur choice for obtaining drug money

Then I am told of many instances of copper pipe thefts in the area.

On Monday around 9:30 I decide to walk down Walnut st. to go to town (we were out of coffee) and I hear two young (20's) people coming up Ridge St.

They were moving fast, breathing hard and sweating profuse.

As they pass in front of me I see the young man has a large backpack.

Stuffed with about thirty pounds of copper pipe, cut into three foot lengths.

Go figure.


No comments:

Post a Comment